9/11/13 – Morgen -1969 – A Forgotten Classic Psych Rock Album.

Album Of The Day

Morgen - 1969 - Cover Art

Morgen fronted by guitar player Steve Morgen, came out of Long Island, New York in 1969. Releasing just one album on Probe records they were never heard of again.

I managed to find a reissue vinyl album, the original would cost you more than your car. The album mixes psychedelia, rock, melody and fuzz with some intriguing lyrics.

There’s not much information on this group so best just sit back and listen and if you like it see if you can find a vinyl copy as that’s the best way to enjoy a record like this.

The cover art features one of Norwegian artist Edvard Munch’s (pronounced munk) most famous works, The Scream. He created four versions between 1893 and 1910. This lithograph version used on the Morgen album cover was created by Munch in 1895.

Album tracks:

1. Welcome To The Void
2. Of Dreams
3. Beggin’ Your Pardon (Miss Joan)
4. Eternity In Between
5. Purple
6. She’s The Nitetime
7. Love

Band Credits:

Steve Morgen – Vocals, Guitar
Rennie Genossa – bass
Bob Maiman – Drums
Barry Stock – Rhythm Guitar

The album was produced by Morgen and Murray Shiffrin.

Listen to the complete album here:

Tags:

6 Responses to “9/11/13 – Morgen -1969 – A Forgotten Classic Psych Rock Album.”

1. Beefheart Smiles November 9, 2013 at 1:28 pm #

I also managed get a vinyl reissue of this one, even those reissues are not cheap at all. Haven’t really listened to the album with total attention but played it twice and noticed it’s great, it deserves more.

Searching on the Internet seems hopeless as almost nothing is known of these guys. Marty… can you tell more choices in this vein? Psychedelic, noisy, unknown… Have you heard Color Humano?

• Marty Willson-Piper November 9, 2013 at 3:15 pm #

Yes Color Humano, I have the first 3 albums on CD. When I was in Argentina I discovered a lot of bands from the early seventies that are pretty much unknown outside that country. Vox Dei for example. I will be writing something about them at some point.
      Today I wrote a piece on The Human Instinct from New Zealand, a different thing and better known in New Zealand but a noisy, psych blues rock band.

2. Beefheart Smiles November 9, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

Were they any good? The double album (released separately) is astounding, have some filler, like almost every double LP.

Here’s some interesting trivia, Danny Peyronel went to England and joined the Heavy Metal Kids, in their debut LP there’s a version of Vox Dei’s first LP, “Canción para una mujer (que no está)”, with the lyrics and title changed , their version is called “It’s the Same”. He later played in a UFO LP, haven’t heard that one though.

3. Marty Willson-Piper November 9, 2013 at 5:35 pm #

Sorry I don’t quite understand, are you talking about La Biblia 1971? I have that record but I don’t have Caliente 1970 the first album. I didn’t know that about the Heavy Metal Kids, although I saw them live in the seventies and have the first 3 albums. Yes I see It’s The Same was co written with Ricardo Soule´, Vox Dei’s guitarist. Interesting. I see Danny Peyronel played on No Heavy Petting and it says on one Wikipedia page that he wrote the lyrics for Fear on the Sade album Promise, I guess that’s because he was in a band (The Blue Max) with Robin Millar who produced her. But on another Wikipedia page, the one about the album, it doesn’t credit him. I guess that’s the problem with Wikipedia.

4. Beefheart Smiles November 9, 2013 at 7:47 pm #

Yes! Totally! You can never trust Wikipedia 100%!

You saw the H.M.K.!!?!??! Was danny in the band then?.

And yes, the song, “It’s the Same” is “Canción para una mujer (que no está)”, and originally appears on the first LP, the one you’ve mentioned, Caliente (released date: 1970).

Take a look at here Marty: http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-478880575-vox-dei-caliente-cd-_JM

It’s really worth every penny and it’s less than 10 U$D. I can send it to you if you want!

5. Marty Willson-Piper November 9, 2013 at 9:28 pm #

Hm yes well I saw them around ’74 or ’75 (I think) so I guess Danny Peyronel was in the band but if it was ’77 he wasn’t. sorry it’s hard to remember. I always liked Kitcsh the third album, Cry For Me, She’s No Angel. I’m sure you remember those songs. Quite a forgotten band i think. Gary Holton the singer was in a TV show called Auf Wiedersehen, Pet in the ’80s but we lost him to a morphine and alcohol OD in 1985. Sad.
    If you would like to send the Vox Dei Caliente CD then the archive would be most grateful. If you E mail me here on the website I can send you the address.
    mwpindeepmusicarchive@gmail.com