Album Of The Day

Video Of The Day

Pink-Floyd-Endless-River-Album-Cover-1024x1024Like The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd have not had the creative fire burning inside of them since the release of The Wall 35 years ago (or in The Stones case parts of Tattoo You, an album of outtakes from a richer period in their history). As Roger Waters indulged his demons on The Final Cut (1983) and then left, the magic was gone long before that album and his exit. The prefunctory A Momentary Lapse Of Reason (1987) and The Division Bell (1994) just served as pleasant revisitations to old haunts where we once built mighty sand castles or had our first kiss or our first joint. To hear these three musicians play together, three uniquely talented originals dreaming away in their oversized suits horrified some and placated others but it’s not really their fault that millions of people wanted any version of them that they could get.

With The Endless River, The Floyd have done nothing more than release some jamming outtakes from The Division Bell sessions from thirty years ago in memory of their sweet friend Rick Wright. Gilmour’s guitar still soars, Nick Mason’s drum rolls still punctuate the songs like no other drummer could and Rick Wright’s keyboards leave beds of mood that glue it all together. This album is a quiet look into their soft and warm relationship serving as a tribute to the loss of their friend to cancer. It’s a mostly instrumental soundtrack album from the point of view of older men reminiscing about their lives from a hammock with a Ferrari parked in the drive way. Let’s thank them for everything they gave us and let them have their last rites in peace with sentimental memories of the good times they had playing together.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to “2/12/14 – Pink Floyd – The Endless River/Louder Than Words Video/Gilmour & Mason Short – 2014”

1. centuryhouse December 1, 2014 at 3:55 pm #

I disagree with a lot of people who believe there is a necessity for bands / musicians to constantly change, challenge, or innovate.

I don’t think they should feel the need to do that at all, unless the muse moves them in that direction. Life isn’t all about innovation or pushing boundaries – actually it rarely is. And the same goes for music, in my opinion. Sometimes music can just BE ENJOYED. Sometimes, it is ok to make the music or listen to it because it is good.

To go with the metaphor of revisiting a special place where you had a wonderful first, I have no problems frequenting such a place and enjoying it in the present, too. Every time you go to that place, you are bringing the present with you, which inevitably creates a new experience even if it is related to the old.

And in my opinion, that’s what Pink Floyd did in Momentary Lapse and Division Bell, to an extent. And as they perhaps revisited some old experiences, they also brought a healthy dose of their present to it, creating music that didn’t sound like anything they’d done. Momentary Lapse doesn’t sound like any other phase of PF. DB had more old flavors in it, but stood as it’s own thing with it’s own sound.

2. simone December 1, 2014 at 9:15 pm #

I’ve been listening to the album the past week and find it a fitting tribute to Wright and a lovely way to end The Floyd. Even though these are outtakes from The Division Bell period,I still find this “new”.
    I grew up listening to The Floyd- my mum a fan of the Barrett era and my uncle a huge fan of 70s era Floyd (and he was lucky to see them in 1971 on the Atom Heart Mother tour in Australia which was the only time they came here until 88). I know Dark Side…and Wish You Were…off by heart since I was a child. When The Wall came out that was a pretty big deal for me. I was about 9 and loved the album. I can still remember everyone at school singing the line “we don’t need no education”. It was a childhood anthem. Sadly The Floyd didn’t tour Australia with that album,so when they finally did in the early part of 1988 with Momentary Lapse of Reason I was in seventh heaven to be able to finally see them live. To me that album and the single Learning to Fly is just as much The Floyd as Money or See Emily Play is and stands strong on its own merits as does The Division Bell.
    I personally don’t mind that a more recent album sounds similar to an earlier one – it’s warm and familiar. The Endless River is essential listening for any fan of the band and definitely not for the iTunes generation. I curl up on the couch and let this new and final album bring the mighty Pink Floyd full circle with many happy memories.

3. Woody December 2, 2014 at 2:04 am #

The last 10 years or so has made me a Pink Floyd man. Some of their works does not appeal to me. The Wall for instance is simply to much to handle even tough Comfortably numb is fantastic. Other parts of their catalouge is just knocking med down. Respect !

4. delay plus chorus December 2, 2014 at 2:11 am #

There was a time I would have been really judgmental about this release, and dismissed it as a toss-off by two cynical old fogies reliving/recycling their glory days. But as I’m getting up there in age myself, and the years really do feel like they’re whooshing past toward some mewling end, I won’t begrudge Gilmour and Mason making a final musical tribute to their fallen comrade. Time is precious, opportunities short, and as they say, it’s better to regret something you have done than something you haven’t.

I think even Waters has expressed some remorse about the bitterness and duration of the band’s schism, reflecting after Richard Wright’s death about what might have been. Whatever the merits of this particular record vis a vis the Pink Floyd legacy, the only real shame is that collectively, they never summoned the peace and grace to properly reconcile.

Anyway my Floyd memory: going to visit some older cousins as a small kid in the ’70s and getting turned on to Dark Side. They lived in the country, and we roamed the fields all that day and wore ourselves out, and then when the sun was down, as I stretched out in a sleeping bag on their floor, one of them took an unfamiliar record out of a mysterious-looking sleeve, dropped the stylus into the gently rumbling groove and said “Listen to this.” I just laid there in the dark, and felt everything in the whole world change.

• delay plus chorus December 2, 2014 at 2:20 am #

After I hit Send on that comment, it occurred to me that I frequent this music site largely thanks to that one Pink Floyd “moment” all those years ago. It’s a surprisingly direct line.

5. PacoJim December 7, 2014 at 10:32 pm #

The last paragraph of Marty’s review is a perfect and respectful way of describing the situation .Its great that they did this , and we owe them a lot of respect , the bass lines the riffs they gave us , who can forget “run like hell” !!! thumping drums guitar echoing over it self run run run run run , a masterpiece , let them have their last hurrah with their friend , without judgement, without worrying about if its current enough they really have nothing to prove .Rick wrote great gig in the sky , he was a pretty special dude.