11/1/16 – David Bowie – 8th January 1947 – 10th January 2016

Life & Death

Bowie Ziggy-lyricsIn death we are all equal but David Bowie transcended even that truth.

I see a queue, as long as eternity, shuffling feet slowly moving forwards towards the precipice of the unknown. Mostly anonymous but here and there a glimpse of recognition as you watch the line tumble into a bottomless pit of final days. One by one they fall, leaving behind loved ones, relatives and followers, and it’s the living who suffer as the darkness descends as it inevitably will.

The last breath of a stranger that you knew, a body shattered, a face lined with sickness that penetrated your very existence and shaped your own soul, guided you towards a light switched on inside your head, that small sharp click that opened up the whole universe and its possibilities, suddenly gone. Left in an empty hall, crying on the dance floor, spilling your emotions like a broken dam. The shock, the silence beforehand, that left you unprepared and the silence afterwards, that leaves you speechless.

The music, an avalanche of inspiration and the lyrics inventing worlds in another universe away from the drab garb of the ordinary, conjuring the imaginable, dressed in the fantastic. Rivers of colour power into pools of impossible truths, the freezing clasp of art as it chills your blood and the dark kiss of alien lips that torture your heart into submission. The black warmth of loud guitars and the silent whisper of drums. The possibility to see visions in words and to slide them like futuristic interlocking silver clasps into the baffling traumas of life. To find answers in sentences that slip you clues.

Epic washes of sound collapsing down like a crumbling mountain from heaven. A soundscape so dense that a forest can appear or the Berlin wall or the ravages of Dystopia under blackened roses. Trembling magnificent overtures from lost manuscripts sewn into the hem of a sparkling dress, waves and dreams in locks of hair and beauty in a shattered mirror. Arcs in the curves of dancing angels in the theatre of ambiguity. The timbre of a voice that commands you not to obey.

David Bowie is dead.

Tags:

10 Responses to “11/1/16 – David Bowie – 8th January 1947 – 10th January 2016”

1. alienskinmusic January 11, 2016 at 7:59 pm #

Beautiful, Marty….the most powerful eulogy I have read and am going to read. You created the emotional world that David Bowie created for many of us over so many, many decades. The shock will subside, as shock does, but what the man leaves behind is something few of us will ever want to let go of. I have passionately adored David since the wee 70s. The song that made me stop and decide I was going to be infatuated with this artist was Lady Grinning Soul. I have seen the man live many times, I can add little else that you haven’t brilliantly evoked in your piece. Beautiful and thank you…..and THANK YOU MR JONES xoxo

2. hoodoo66 January 11, 2016 at 8:08 pm #

Thank you Marty. You encapsulated (and set free) feelings that have been stewing all day as I’ve listened to David’s albums.

3. simone January 11, 2016 at 8:36 pm #

Utterly devastated. I grew up within a Bowie loving household . My mum had his first 1967 and second 1969 album (aka Space Oddity). I was born to the strains of Man Who Sold The World in late 1970. My mum still tells people that at around the age of two I was transfixed to the television set watching Bowie on screen sing and gently swaying along to his voice.
    I became the huge Bowie fan buying every record and lucky enough to see him twice in 1983 and 1987.
    Beautiful words Marty . Goodbye and thank you David Bowie for all the music. May you rest in peace. Gone too soon.
    Here is my favourite Bowie song of all – this time sung in French.

4. delay plus chorus January 11, 2016 at 9:54 pm #

Bowie’s songs were the soundtrack of my youth, and he died on my 50th birthday. Coincidence, but I feel really old today.

5. trufjam January 11, 2016 at 11:42 pm #

Marty, in the acres of column space (sorry, bad pun) devoted to Bowie’s death, your meditation on this extraordinary artist is superb. Personal, intimate, reflective and profound. Mighty congrats on a post worthy of the man.

6. brevinda January 12, 2016 at 1:40 am #

Could Bowie have left this mortal coil any other way…a, inevitably, number one album and his haunting video for his final single with references to his own demise…an artist till the very end…of the many things Bowie was, to me, he was/will always be an entertainer…only six months ago I made a decision to get as many concert DVDs as I could to chronicle his different phases.

7. ryan_murdock January 12, 2016 at 3:05 am #

Thank you Marty. I look forward to reading your thoughts on this incredible man’s work in the coming weeks.

It feels like the world’s off balance and everything sounds so hollow and alone today.

8. Mr Wisdoms Whopper January 12, 2016 at 7:40 pm #

Thanks Marty. Only the great artists can transcend eras and generations and he was certainly one of these. i may not have liked all of his stages and music but i certainly admired his willingness to try and always evolve.

9. sevans January 14, 2016 at 10:47 am #

Just re-read this post, was almost too much an Monday – I feel very odd about losing Bowie and this does help to express some of what I have been feeling, thank you Marty

-from the guy who emailed you once about his ‘after everything’ shirt being eaten by his dog

10. superdigital February 29, 2016 at 1:21 pm #

That was beautiful. Thank You.